July 26, 2009

Spicy Mango Shrimp!

While waiting for my sister at the dentist's office the other day, I picked up an issue of Sunset Magazine. After reading a couple of them, I found this recipe for Spicy Mango Shrimp. Wanting to try something new, I ripped out the recipe (shh!) and hurried home to try it.

Photobucket

Let me tell you, this dish is aromatic, spicy, sweet, easy to make, and most importantly, DELICIOUS! This is a definite crowd pleaser; my whole family really enjoyed it!

Ingredients:

3 tblsp. vegetable oil
1 c. chopped onion
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. red chile flakes
1/2 c. chopped fresh basil leaves
2 tblsp. soy sauce
1 tblsp. fresh lime juice
About 12 oz. peeled and deveined shrimp (30 to 35 per lb.)
2 cc. cubed fresh or frozen mango (preferably unripe)
1/4 c. toasted shredded unsweetened coconut


Directions:

Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and sauté onion in oil until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, chile flakes, basil, soy sauce, lime juice, and shrimp; cook, stirring often, until shrimp turn pink, 3 to 5 minutes. Add mango and cook until warm. Sprinkle with toasted coconut and serve with steamed jasmine rice.

Tip: I put a piece of parchment paper on top of a baking sheet and spread the coconut out over the parchment paper. I set the oven to 350 degrees and toasted the coconut for ~5 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment